Happy Wednesday! I love making it to the halfway point of the work week. Especially when it’s December and I have something really fun to look forward to every weekend 🙂 This weekend it’s my friend Jess’ wedding! She’s having it at the Byron Colby Barn in Grayslake and I’m really excited to see how it looks, since she’s really good at DIY and crafting. I’m sure it will be nothing short of perfect and I’m also looking forward to seeing a bunch of friends from college.
Here are some other things making me happy this past week:
- These sweet potato pie oats I made for breakfast. I’m obsessed with healthy breakfasts that taste like unhealthy dessert, and this one fit the bill. It’s creamy, naturally sweetened, comforting and warm. Perfect for those days with a high of 6 degrees, like tomorrow.
- Doing puzzles with friends. Have you ever finished a puzzle only to find out the last piece is a duplicate of another piece of the puzzle and you are MISSING THE ACTUAL LAST PIECE?! I’m thinking about sending a complaint to the company. I think the undue stress this has caused me warrants a free puzzle, right?
- Plated dinners. I love the excitement of looking forward to a new recipe and something different for dinner after work. Featured here are mojo Cuban chicken and rice bowls:
and eggplant parm with garlic pull apart bread:
Both so good! The garlic pull apart bread tasted like restaurant quality and looked so cute in the little dish provided. I will definitely be making a rendition of that some time soon. Al and I were brainstorming different ways we could make it while eating, so stay tuned! 🙂 Tonight’s dinner will be Greek stuffed spaghetti squash and I have high hopes for that too! Because so many people have asked me about it- Plated costs $72 dollars for three dinners that serve 2 people ($12 per plate.) I think it’s a good value, but only do it every so often to switch things up since I like finding my own recipes and going to the grocery store so much.
- Brightwok dinner and Christkindlemart date night
Brightwok is basically an Asian Chipotle. You can choose your base, veggies, protein, and sauce and then you watch them add everything together and throw it in a wok to stir fry it up for you. Their curry sauce is AMAZING and I get it almost every time I go. I highly recommend it if you’re looking for something quick and healthy in the Chicago loop.
After dinner we walked over to the Christkindlemart for some spiced wine in the signature mugs pictured. They are displayed proudly on Joseph’s mantle in his living room now and make for some very cute 2016 Christmas momentos. We had fun walking around and looking at all the cute little German ornaments and snacking on candied nut and fried cheese samples. The kindlemart is a cute Chicago tradition definitely worth stopping by if you’re close.
- Last but not least, ALL the cookies I’ve been making lately!
This is from the most recent batch. Truthfully, these did not turn out as well as the recipe I normally use, but I didn’t have any powdered sugar on hand (after using it all up to make cinnamon roll frosting this weekend) so was forced to branch out and try a different one. They turned out a little too flat, but still tasted amazing when eaten with a fork, hot off the pan. 😉 Here’s the one I would recommend: Candy Cane Kiss Cookies
Hope you’re all having a great week and eating lots of Christmas cookies!