Hello everybody! (I typed that out and immediately heard it in my head in Aunt Bethany’s voice from Christmas Vacation)
Clearly, I can’t stop thinking about all things Christmas. I haven’t watched Christmas Vacation yet this year because it’s tradition to watch it with my family. Can’t wait to watch it soon!!
I have a great healthy soup recipe for you today, but first I have a couple other follow ups.
Quick cookie update: you know I’ve been making batches of cookies like it’s my job (and I wish it WAS my job,) but here’s my favorite from this week:
They turned out SO cute! But the cookie recipe I used resulted in a flatter, thinner molasses cookie than I wanted, so I’m now on the hunt for the perfect molasses cookie. These were still really good though! I also made these monster cookies and gave them a Christmas twist by using red and green m&m’s. They’re always a big crowd-pleaser. The peanut butter and oats in the batter really won me over and I go back to this recipe pretty often.
Bagel update: if you read my last post, I was talking about trying the bageler’s coffee house in LP over the weekend. The verdict is: it was good but not great. I ordered an everything bagel toasted with garlic and chive cream cheese.
The quantity of cream cheese is lacking and it wasn’t toasted nearly enough. By the time I got to the second half, the bagel wasn’t even warm anymore and it was just cold and soft like an un-toasted bagel. Overall, Bro Bagel gets my vote any day.
And now to that soup recipe! A friend of mine passed this recipe along (shout out Emily and Stacie if you’re reading!) I made a few small tweaks, but can’t take credit for the idea. It’s called lasagna soup because it has mozzarella, tomato, spinach and sausage in it. I swapped in Italian chicken sausage, banza chickpea noodles (noodles made from chickpeas that are high in protein!) and mini tortellini, added some pesto and viola! A healthy, filling, cozy soup to balance out all the cookie baking that’s been going on at my apt.
- 1 lb. chicken italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 8 oz package baby bella mushrooms
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, chopped (14 ½ oz.)
- 1 can tomato sauce (10 ¾ oz.)
- 1 cup pasta of your choice
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Shredded, part skim mozzarella
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese for topping
- Thinly sliced fresh basil, for garnish
- Pesto- I used store bought
- Brown sausage in a dutch oven, or pot big enough for the soup, over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Add carrots and sauté for another 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic, and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add broth, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce, and bring to a boil. Drop in pasta and simmer until cooked, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions. (I cooked my pasta separately and stored it in a different container in the fridge so it wouldn't get soggy when I ate the leftovers.) Stir in spinach and cook until wilted (only takes about one minute).
- Top with shredded mozzarella, basil, Parmesan, and a generous spoonful of pesto.